We have known since 2019 that some Windows Updates cause printing issues (e.g. spooler crashes and breaking the printing capabilities of Windows). For example, KB 4522016 from 10/2019 or KB 45411329 from 03/2020.
Update: Windows Update KBs from 03/2021 are causing a wide range of printing issues (e.g. blank or false output, spooler crashes, BSOD and breaking ThinPrint V-Layer configurations). The issues are reported to sometimes be dependent on the printer driver. There are a number of problematic Update KB versions from March of 2021 mentioned in various posts for the different Windows desktop and server versions including but not limited to e.g.: Windows 10 KB5000802, KB5001567 causing new critical printing issue (windowslatest.com)
Microsoft usually fixes these issues quickly with a new KB Update afterwards. As a workaround you would have to uninstall the problematic KBs temporarily.
We can confirm that at least in the case of printing problems in a V-Layer scenario after the 03/2021 updates the official Microsoft Update KB fix March 18 2021—KB5001633 (OS Build 14393.4288) Out-of-band (microsoft.com) has resolved the issue. We haven’t got confirmation at this point that all other forms of problems are also resolved with this fix. We recommend to follow the Microsoft KB updates closely so that you don’t miss any other upcoming KB fixes that Microsoft may publish in the near future with regard to these printing related issues.
Windows message center | Microsoft Docs from March 18,2021 and updated on March 22,2021 lists out-of-band optional updates that are available on the Microsoft Update Catalog for all versions of Windows and on Windows Update for some versions. Microsoft recommends you only install this update if you are affected by this issue.
- Windows 10, version 20H2 and Windows Server, version 20H2 (KB5001649)
- Windows 10, version 2004 and Windows Server, version 2004 (KB5001649)
- Windows 10, version 1909 and Windows Server, version 1909 (KB5001648)
- Windows 10, version 1809 and Windows Server 2019 (KB5001638)
- Windows 10, version 1803 (KB5001634)
- Windows 10, version 1607 and Windows Server 2016 (KB5001633)
- Windows 10, version 1507 (KB5001631)
- Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 (KB5001640)
- Windows Server 20012 (KB5001641)
- Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 (KB5001639)
- Windows Server 2008 SP2 (KB5001642)