The following documentation is a quick guide for installing ThinPrint Engine on a terminal server.
Here’s an example scenario with the ThinPrint components to be installed:
- Windows Server 2016 or
- Windows Server 2012 R2 or
- Windows Server 2012 or
- Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 or
- Windows Server 2008 SP2
ThinPrint Client (RDP type)
- Workstation: Windows 10, 8.1, 8 or 7 SP1
The computers are domain members. Users or servers with ThinPrint Engine installed can also be in subdomains or trusted domains.
To license users, you can use the following browsers:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer version 10 minimum
- Google Chrome version 27 minimum
- Mozilla Firefox version 21 or later
Monitor with a minimum resolution of 1024×768 pixels
Note! Before beginning installation, we recommend deactivating any virus scanner. Also be aware that after installation ThinPrint Engine will only become functional after a Windows restart.
Installing License Server on the terminal server
The License Server and the ThinPrint Engine are installed on the same terminal server. The ThinPrint Client is installed on a workstation. For all stages of installation and configuration, you will need a normal domain user account with local administrator permissions.
- To install and configure the software, set up a normal user account in the AD (Active Directory). LicService used here as an example.
- Then give this account local administrator permissions on the license server.
- Log on as a domain user with local administrator permissions (see above).
- Start the installation program, e. g. Setup_ThinPrint_11_Complete_x64.exe or ThinPrintLicenseServer_x64.exe.
- Select Install ThinPrint License Server if you use the bundle installer Setup_ThinPrint_11_Complete_x64.exe.
- The InstallShield Wizard opens. Click Install.
- The ThinPrint License Server Readiness Check opens.
- It may run for several minutes.
- It will show you if all installation requirements have been met (green check marks).
- Proceed only when you have all green check marks on the left.
- In the Welcome window of the InstallShield Wizard, click Next.
- Read and accept the License Agreement and click Next to continue.
- Confirm the installation folder with Next.
- In the Ready to Install window, click Install.
- In the next window, select Demo mode and confirm with Finish.
The Management Console will open. For now, a configuration isn’t necessary because the users are enabled automatically for ThinPrint.
Installing ThinPrint Engine on the terminal server
Installation on Windows terminal server (= Remote Desktop Session Host) on which the License Server was installed before.
- Start the installation program, e. g. Setup_ThinPrint_11_Complete_x64.exe or Setup_ThinPrintEngine_x64.exe.
- Select Install ThinPrint Engine if you use the bundle installer Setup_ThinPrint_11_Complete_x64.exe.
- Select your language and click OK.
- InstallShield Wizard will open. Click Next.
- Read the license agreement and accept it. Click Next.
- Select Terminal Server. Click Next.
- Enter the License Server address if it’s installed on a different machine. Confirm with Next.
- If the account you’re using to install ThinPrint Engine shouldn’t have admin permissions on the license server you’ll be asked for. Enter appropriate credentials. Confirm with OK.
- Confirm installation folder with Next.
- Click Install.
- Click Finish.
- Click Yes to reboot the server.
Note! Please also note the section Storage destination for AutoConnect settings
Installing ThinPrint Client on a Windows Workstation
Note! Local admin permissions are necessary on the client to install ThinPrint Client Windows.
- Are your printers installed?
- Feel free to install several printers, as many as you like – including network printers, multi-functional devices, ink-jets etc.
Note that Local Administrator permissions are necessary on the workstation to install the ThinPrint Client Windows.
- Start the ThinPrint Client installation program, e.g. Setup_ThinPrintClient_x64.exe.
- Select a language and click OK to confirm.
- In the Welcome window just click Next.
- Read the License Agreement, accept its terms and click Next.
- Select ThinPrint Client RDP and click Next.
- Confirm the installation path with Next.
- Click Install to start the installation process.
- Click Finish. The ThinPrint Client will be automatically started with a session.
Printing from a session
- Start a Remote Desktop Connection from the client, as a common domain user.
- Open a document and click Print.
Auto-created client printers in the remote desktop session are displayed.
- Select a printer.