- 1 Scenario
- 2 Technical requirements for quickinstallation on print servers
- 3 Installing License Server on the print server
- 4 Installing ThinPrint Engine on the print server
- 5 Installing ThinPrint Client on a Windows workstation
- 6 Creating printers on the central print server (Driver Free Printing)
- 7 Installing ThinPrint Engine on a terminal server
- 8 Printing from a session (Driver Free Printing)
The following documentation is a quick guide for installing ThinPrint Engine on a central print server.
This documentation describes the quick installation of ThinPrint Engine on a print server, using the following scenario:
Technical requirements for quickinstallation on print servers
Be sure that the TCP port number/s for printing via TCP/IP is/are not being blocked by another program or by a server-side or client-side firewall. IPv4 has to be enabled for each involved machine.
Terminal servers and print servers
- Windows Server 2016 or
- Windows Server 2012 R2 or
- Windows Server 2012 or
- Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 or
- Windows Server 2008 SP2 or
- Windows 10, 8.1, 8 or 7 SP1
The computers are domain members. Users or servers with ThinPrint Engine installed can also be in subdomains or trusted domains.
To license users, you can use the following browsers:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer version 10 minimum
- Google Chrome version 27 minimum
- Mozilla Firefox version 21 or later
Monitor with a minimum resolution of 1024×768 pixels
Note!Before beginning installation, we recommend deactivating any virus scanner. Also be aware that after installation ThinPrint Engine will only become functional after a Windows restart.
Installing License Server on the print server
Before beginning installation, we recommend deactivating any virus scanner. For all stages of installation and configuration, you will need a normal domain user account with local administrator permissions.
- To install and configure the software, set up a normal user account in the AD (Active Directory). LicService used here as an example.
- Then give this account local administrator permissions on the license server.
- Log on as a domain user with local administrator permissions (see above).
- Start the installation program, e. g. Setup_ThinPrint_11_Complete_x64.exe or ThinPrintLicenseServer_x64.exe
- Select Install ThinPrint License Server if you use the bundle installer Setup_ThinPrint_11_Complete_x64.exe.
- The InstallShield Wizard opens. Click Install.
- The ThinPrint License Server Readiness Check opens.
- It may run for several minutes.
- It will show you if all installation requirements have been met (green check marks).
- Proceed only when you have all green check marks on the left.
- In the Welcome window of the InstallShield Wizard, click Next.
- Read and accept the License Agreement and click Next to continue.
- Confirm the installation folder with Next.
- In the Ready to Install window, click Install.
- In the next window, select Demo mode and confirm with Finish.
The Management Console will open. For now, a configuration isn’t necessary because the users are enabled automatically for ThinPrint.
Installing ThinPrint Engine on the print server
- Start the installation program, e. g. Setup_ThinPrint_11_Complete_x64.exe or Setup_ThinPrintEngine_x64.exe.
- Select Install ThinPrint Engine if you use the bundle installer Setup_ThinPrint_11_Complete_x64.exe.
- Select your language and click OK.
- InstallShield Wizard will open. Click Next.
- Read the license agreement and accept it. Click Next.
- Select Print Server. Click Next.
- Enter the License Server address if it’s installed on a different machine. Confirm with Next.
- If the account you’re using to install ThinPrint Engine shouldn’t have admin permissions on the license server you’ll be asked for. Enter appropriate credentials. Confirm with OK.
- Confirm installation folder with Next.
- Click Install.
- Click Finish.
- Click Yes to reboot the server.
Installing ThinPrint Client on a Windows workstation
- Are your printers installed?
- Feel free to install several printers as many as you like – including network printers, multi-functional devices, ink-jets etc.
Note that Local Administrator permissions are necessary on the workstation to install the ThinPrint Client Windows.
- Start the ThinPrint Client installation program, e.g. Setup_ThinPrintClient_x64.exe.
- Select a language and click OK to confirm.
- In the Welcome window just click Next.
- Read the License Agreement, accept its terms and click Next.
- Select ThinPrint Client TCP/IP and click Next.
- Confirm the installation path with Next.
- Choose the installation method Install ThinPrint Client TCP/IP as an application and click Next.
- Click Install to start the installation process.
- Click Finish. The ThinPrint Client will be started.
- Run ThinPrint Client TCP to open the ThinPrint Client Manager.
- Change to Assignment tab and find out the printer IDs. Click OK.
Creating printers on the central print server (Driver Free Printing)
- Create a printer on the server for each Windows workstation printer, attach them to ThinPort: and share them; share name = printer name on the workstation; driver: TP Output Gateway; add client address and printer ID to the printer name, syntax: anyname#address:ID.
- Check in the printer properties whether the Share name is (in this example) the same as the respective printer name on the workstation.
Installing ThinPrint Engine on a terminal server
- To install the ThinPrint Engine on a terminal server, just proceed as on the central print server – with the following exception:
- Select the server role Terminal Server.
- After installation including a terminal server reboot, open the ThinPrint Configuration.
Note! Please also note the section Storage destination for AutoConnect settings.
- Open Dynamic Printer Matrix.
- Start editing with double-click into the table.
- Enter a new line with the following entry in the target column: \\cps50\Lexmark T644 (cps50 = address of the central print server)
- For clarity, deactivate all checkboxes of the two existing lines.
- Click OK to confirm.
Note! In the terminal server’s Windows Explorer, establish – as an administrator – at least once a connection to a printer on the print server manually.
Printing from a session (Driver Free Printing)
- Start a terminal session from the workstation.
- Printers are created automatically in the session.
- –Open an application and select Print.
- Select a ThinPrint printer and click OK.