The following documentation is a quick guide for installing ThinPrint Engine on a remote desktop.
Here’s an example scenario with the ThinPrint components to be installed:
- Windows Server 2022
- Windows Server 2019
- Windows Server 2016
- Windows Server 2012 R2
ThinPrint Client (RDP type)
- Workstation: Windows 11 or Windows 10
The computers are domain members. Users or servers with ThinPrint Engine installed can also be in subdomains or trusted domains.
To license users, you can use the following browsers:
- Microsoft Edge
- Google Chrome version 27 or later
- Mozilla Firefox version 21 or later
Note! Before beginning installation, we recommend deactivating any virus scanner. Also be aware that after installation ThinPrint Engine will only become functional after a Windows restart.
Installing License Server on the remote desktop
The License Server and the ThinPrint Engine can be installed on the same remote desktop. The ThinPrint Client is installed on a workstation. For all stages of installation and configuration, you will need a normal domain user account with local administrator permissions.
The following describes the installation using the installation wizard. Unattended installation is also possible (see Unattended installation).
- Log on as a domain user with local administrator permissions.
- Start the installation program, e. g. Setup_ThinPrint_13_Complete_x64.exe or ThinPrintLicenseServer_x64.exe.
- If you use the bundle installer, e. g. Setup_ThinPrint_13_Complete_x64.exe, then select Install ThinPrint License Server.
- Select Install ThinPrint License Server if you use the bundle installer Setup_ThinPrint_13_Complete_x64.exe.
- You will be informed which components will be installed, here: the Readiness Check component. Click on Install.
- ThinPrint License Server readiness check opens. It may run for several minutes.
- Readiness Check will show you if all installation requirements have been met (green check marks).
A yellow dot indicates that recommended requirements have not been met: continuing with the installation is possible, but with the restrictions detailed on the right (see Details).
- A red cross indicates an error. Click on Details and in the text box on the right you will see a description of the error and how you can fix it. Installation cannot continue until this is rectified.
Proceed only when you have all green check marks on the left. It may be necessary to Cancel the installation, rectify a problem and then start the installation again.
- InstallShield Wizard opens. Click Next.
- Accept the license agreement and click Next.
- Confirm the installation folder or select a different one. Click Next.
- In the next window, click Install.
- At the end of the installation routine, the license key to be installed is requested.
Here you can have a 30-day key installed automatically (which cannot be activated or extended). On this, click Evaluation mode.
Or you can manually enter a key that you have already received from your reseller or from ThinPrint or Cortado. On this, click Enter license key(s).
Entering a license key
- If you selected Enter license Key(s) the window shown in the following screenshot will appear. Copy your license key(s) into the white field, as shown on the left in the next screenshot and click Enter License(s).
- This causes one of the exclamation marks in a red circle to change to a checkmark in a green circle (above right in screenshot above).
Complete the installation by clicking OK.
Installing ThinPrint Engine on the remote desktop
Installation on the remote desktop on which the license server was preferably previously installed.
- Start the installation program, e. g. Setup_ThinPrint_13_Complete_x64.exe or Setup_ThinPrintEngine_x64.exe.
- Select Install ThinPrint Engine if you use the bundle installer Setup_ThinPrint_13_Complete_x64.exe.
- Select your language and click OK.
- Components that need to be installed beforehand for the installation of the ThinPrint Engine are displayed.
Confirm by clicking on Install.
- InstallShield Wizard will open. Click Next.
- Read the license agreement and accept it. Click Next.
- On servers operating systems, select Remote Desktop.
- On workstation operating systems, select Desktop Engine.
- Click Next.
- Enter the License Server address if it’s installed on a different machine. Confirm with Next.
- Choose an installation path, if necessary. Confirm with Next.
- Click Install.
- Click Finish.
- Click Yes to reboot the server.
Installing ThinPrint Client on a Windows Workstation
Note! Local admin permissions are necessary on the client to install ThinPrint Client Windows.
- Are your printers installed?
- Feel free to install several printers as many as you like – including network printers, multi-functional devices, ink-jets etc.
Note that Local Administrator permissions are necessary on the workstation to install the ThinPrint Client Windows.
- Start the ThinPrint Client installation program, e.g. Setup_ThinPrintRDPClient.exe.
- Select a language and click OK to confirm.
- In the Welcome window just click Next.
- Read the License Agreement, accept its terms and click Next.
- Select Anyone who uses this computer (all users).
- Click Finish. The ThinPrint Client is automatically started with a remote desktop session ‒ then its icon will appear in the taskbar:
- In the Start menu, run ThinPrint Client TCP (or double-click its icon in the taskbar) to open the ThinPrint Client Manager.
- Deselect the printers you do not need. Click OK.
Printing from a remote desktop session
- Start a remote desktop session from the Windows PC on which you have installed the ThinPrint Client.
- Open an application and select the print function there.
- Now select a ThinPrint printer and click Print.