- After Installing Group Policies, open Group Policy Management and set up a new group policy object for ThinPrint.
- Highlight the new group policy object and select Action → Edit. The Group Policy Manegement Editor will open (Illus. following the next).
- In the Group Policy Management Editor you will find the AutoConnect configuration under Computer Configuration → Policies → Software Settings → ThinPrint. If the path to the configuration database has not been specified yet, a message to that effect appears.
- To rectify this, under Administrative Templates→ ThinPrint → ThinPrint AutoConnect, enable the setting Specify mapping configugration file path (Mapping database) (Illus. below).
enabling the setting Specify mapping configugration file path (Mapping database)
- In the settings, you will find the current path to a local folder. Place the database on a network drive by moving it to a shared folder on the network to which the domain computer (the AutoConnect service) has read access and administrators have write access.
- Then, under Registry Value Name: Databaseconnectionstring, enter the UNC path to the new storage location (Illus. below) Confirm with OK or Apply.
Then the following AutoConnect nodes (Illus. that follows) are available for configuration (for each feature, follow its respective link):
Under Administrative Templates → ThinPrint → ThinPrint AutoConnect , you also have available all the global AutoConnect settings. In the following table you can find, for each group policy, its counterpart in the MMC and/or the respective Registry value.
|ThinPrint AutoConnect group policy||Corresponding menu item and/or Registry value|
|Select the printer comment mode||Inherit Client printer settings→ Comments and location
[Registry value CommentMode]
|Select whether client name or IP address is used for addressing||Client address or user name (Example: MyPrinter#User1:3)
[Registry value ConnectToClient]
|Specify mapping configuration file path (Mapping database)||Configuration data bases→ Mapping
[Registry value DatabaseConnectionString]
|Disable that AutoConnect sets the default printer||AutoConnect has no influence
[Registry value DisableSettingOfDefPrinter]
|Specify the log level for events in ThinPrint Diagnostics||AutoConnect events
[Registry value EventLogLevel]
|Specify how AutoConnect tables shall be processed||[Registry value InstallOrder]
partly covered by: Disable Dynamic Printer Matrix
|Start AutoConnect automatically on session log on||At session logon/logoff
[Registry value ListenToWTS]
|Execute AutoConnect also on session disconnect/reconnect||At session reconnect/disconnect
[Registry value ListenToWTSOnDisconnect]
|Delay printer creation||[Registry value PrintercreationDelay]
Configures the time which AutoConnect will wait between creating the users default printer and the other printers
|Specify the maximum printer creation delay||[Registry value PrintercreationDelayMax]
Configures the maximum time which AutoConnect will wait between creating the users default printer and the other printers
|Specify the mode for the printer creation delay||[Registry value PrintercreationDelayMod]|
|Inherit client printer properties||Inherit client printer settings
[Registry value PrinterProperties]
|Flags for client printer properties to be applied||[Registry value PrinterPropertyFlags]
partly covered by: Paper size, Finishing, Paper source, Print on both sides, Print quality, Color
|Select transfer protocol||Transfer protocol
[Registry value Protocol]
|Define printer permissions on legacy Windows||[Registry value RightsWin2000]|
|Define printer permissions||User access rights
[Registry value RightsWin8]
|Specify storing of printer properties in user settings file||[Registry value StoreUserSessionSettings]
• Neither standard printer nor printer preferences are saved/restored
• Save and restore user-defined default printer
• Save and restore user-defined printer preferences
• Save and restore user-defined default printer and printer preferences (default and configuration which will applied when the policy is disabled)
|Select which addressing the printer name contains preferably||Printer name contains preferably (printing via TCP/IP)
[Registry value TPACScheme]
|Specify user settings file path||User-specific printer preferences
[Registry value UserDatabaseConnectionString]