ThinPrint Desktop Agent can be installed on the virtual or real desktops.
For an unattended installation, please see Unattended installation of ThinPrint Engine components.
Below, the installation using the installation wizard is described.
Please note: Updating from Desktop Agent version 11 to 11.4 via Active Directory is not recommended.
For the update, the Windows service TPAutoConnSvc must be set to the start type Manual and the computer must be restarted. In addition, the update procedure takes 40 to 50 minutes.
- Copy the Desktop Agent to the desktop’s hard disk.
- Start the setup file, Setup_DesktopAgent_11_x64.exe, for example (Illus. below).
- Select a language. Click OK to confirm (Illus. below).
- Click Next to confirm the Welcome window (Illus. below).
- Read the license agreement, accept it, and click Next to confirm (Illus. below).
- Enter the License Server address (Illus. below). Confirm with Next.
- If the account you’re using to install Desktop Agent shouldn’t have admin permissions on the license server you’ll be asked for. Enter appropriate credentials (Illus. below). Confirm with OK.
- If you have stored the AutoConnect configuration database centrally, you can specify it here. On this, select Use AutoConnect settings from network share and enter the path to the relevant .db file (see following Illus.). Otherwise AutoConnect can still be conventionally configured using group policies. Click Next to confirm.
- Click Install to start the installation procedure (see next Illus.).
- Click Finish to close the window (Illus. below).
- Confirm a system restart with Yes (Illus. below).
Installing AutoConnect as a Group Policy Object
If you wish to use ThinPrint AutoConnect (recommended) – either for automatic printer creation or for preconfiguring Self Service –, AutoConnect has to be set up as a group policy (GPO) in your domain.
The GPO installer ThinPrint_GroupPolicies_x64.exe or ThinPrint_GroupPolicies_x86.exe is included in the ThinPrint Engine product package (can be downloaded from our website). Copy the software onto the computer (in the domain) on which you wish to edit your Group Policy Objects. On installation and configuration procedure, see Group policies installation.
Update to Version 12
If you want to update your ThinPrint Desktop Agents 11.x to ThinPrint version 12 then you have to use the ThinPrint Engine installer of version 12 that you already used on your print servers to update them.